Composition of Contemporary Thayoy and Fugue
Thayoy and fugue music are complex musical forms and reveal the ability of the musicians and the composer. In this regard, they are higher forms of culture that should be conserved and inherited. This investigation concerns the composition of contemporary thayoy and fugue music for string quartet. This investigation was conducted from March 2013 to July 2015. The research sample was selected using a purposive sampling technique. This is a qualitative investigation using a musicological research method. The aim is to create a piece of contemporary music combining the different characteristics of thayoy and fugue, the musical conventions and the different imitation processes. Results show that these two forms of music are very similar in a number of areas and require highly skilled musicians and composers. Contemporary thayoy fugue uses the collective knowledge of two musical cultures. It is recorded using modern musical notation, enabling it to be performed on the international stage.
2. ____________. Explanation and Analysis of the Compositions of Narongrit Dhamabutra. Bangkok: Tana Press, 2010. (in Thai)
3. Higgs, James. Fugue. London: Novello Company, 1878.
4. Pancharoen, Natchar. Dictionary of Musical Terms. Bangkok: KateCarat Press, 2009. (in Thai)
5. Pidokrajt, Narongchai. Thai Music Encyclopaedia. Bangkok: Ruean Kaew Printing, 1988. (in Thai)
6. Prout, Ebenezer. Fugue. London: Augener Ltd, 1891.
7. Rungruang, Panya. History of Thai Music. Bangkok: Thai Wattanapanit Publishers, 2003. (in Thai)
8. Soktiyanurak, Natcha. Characteristics and Analysis of Musicale. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University Press, 2001. (in Thai)
9. ____________. Coordinated Composition. Bangkok: Chulalongkorn University Press, 2003. (in Thai)