An Analysis of Variables Affecting Digital Music Piracy in Y-Generations
This study presents a structural equation modeling of the variables that influence digital music piracy. From decades ago up to now, economic turmoil to the technological leaps from vinyl, cassettes, to CDs, to the Internet and the related peer-to-peer (P2P) file streaming technologies, the Thai music industry has been challenged and continues to witness tumultuous times. More recently, broadband and Internet enabled smartphones have exacerbated the issues swirling around digital music piracy and the loss of revenue to both the music label houses and their artists, while Y-Generation as digital music consumers are also the largest owners of smart phones within the population, yet one of the largest digital consumer segments with a lifetime spending potential. This study is therefore focused on the variables that contribute to factors influencing piracy leading further to understand users’ behaviours and how to solve the aforementioned issue. Quantitative data surveyed from a sample of 300 Y-generation music users who have experienced illegally online music access or download. Partial Least Square (SmartPLS) software was conducted to analyse Structural Equation Model (SEM). Perceived risk, perceived benefit and attitudes are variables affecting the music piracy behavior directly and indirectly. Thus, Music labels and artists need to understand the motives that cause Y-generation willingness to embrace illegal downloading, developing methods and marketing strategies to encounter this unsustainable act.
2. Allport, Gordon W. “Attitudes.” In Handbook of Social Psychology, edited by Carl Murchison, 798–844. Worcester, MA: Clark University Press, 1935.
3. Bauer, Raymond A. “Consumer Behavior as Risk Taking.” In Dynamic Marketing for a Changing World: Proceedings of the 43rd Conference of the American Marketing Association, edited by Robert S. Hancock, 389-398. Chicago: American Marketing Association, 1960.
4. Beck, Lisa, and Icek Ajzen. “Predicting Dishonest Actions Using the Theory of Planet Behavior.” Journal of Research in Personality 25, 3 (September 1991): 285-301.
5. Bem, Daryl J. Beliefs, Attitudes, and Human Affairs. Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, 1970.
6. Best, John W., and James V. Kahn. Research in Education, 8th ed. Boston: Allyn & Bacon, 1998.
7. Chen, Yu-Chen, Shang, Rong-An, and An-Kai Lin. “The Intention to Download Music Files in a P2P Environment: Consumption Value, Fashion, and Ethical Decision Perspectives.” Electronic Commerce Research and Applications 7, 4 (Winter 2008): 411-422.
8. Chiou, Jyh-Shen, Huang, Chien-yi, and Hsin-hui Lee. “The Antecedents of Music Piracy Attitudes and Intentions.” Journal of Business Ethics 57, 2 (March 2005): 161-174.
9. Cronbach, Lee J. “Coefficient Alpha and the Internal Structure of Tests.” Psychometrika 16, 3 (September 1951): 297-334.
10. Davis, Fred D. “Perceived Usefulness, Perceived Ease of Use, and User Acceptance of Information Technology.” MIS Quarterly 13, 3 (September 1989): 318-339.
11. eMarketer. “Generation Y leads the Way on Smartphones.” Accessed January 15, 2013. https://tinyurl.com/jad7rgp.
12. Fraedrich, John P., and O. C. Ferrell. “The Impact of Perceived Risk and Moral Philosophy Type on Ethical Decision Making in Business Organizations.” Journal of Business Research 24, 4 (June 1992): 283-295.
13. Giletti, Theodore. “Why Pay If It’s Free? Streaming, Downloading, and Digital Music Consumption in the iTunes Era.” Master’s thesis, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2011.
14. Hair, Joseph F., and others. Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006.
15. Henseler, Jörg, Ringle, Christian M., and Rudolf R. Sinkovics. “The use of Partial Least Squares Path Modeling in International Marketing.” In Advances in International Marketing, vol. 20, 277-319. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
IFPI. “Global Music Report 2016.” Accessed April 12, 2016. https://tinyurl.com/gwpzbys.
16. Kewaleewongsatorn, Saengwit. “Smartphone Ownership Soars among Thais.” Bangkok Post, Accessed April 24, 2015. https://tinyurl.com/kffbn4m.
17. Klym, Natalie. “Digital Music Distribution.” Accessed October 5, 2018. https://tinyurl.com/q8xcg5b.
18. Lamont, Tom. “Napster: The Day the Music was Set Free.” The Observer, February 24, 2013. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/feb/24/napster-music-free-file-sharing.
19. Likert, Rensis. “Likert Technique for Attitude Measurement.” In Social Psychology: Experimentation, edited by William S. Sahakian, 101-119. Scranton, PA: Intext Education Publishers, 1972.
20. Limayem, Moez, Khalifa, Mohamed, and Wynne W. Chin. “Factors Motivating Software Piracy: A Longitudinal Study.” IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management 51, 4 (November 2004): 414-425.
21. Peace, A. Graham, Galletta, Dennis F., and James Y.L. Thong. “Software Piracy in the Workplace: A Model and Empirical Test.” Journal of Management Information Systems 20, 1 (2003): 153-177.
22. Schumacker, Randall E., and Richard G. Lomax. A Beginner’s Guide to Structural Equation Modeling, 3rd ed. New York: Routledge, 2010.
23. Siam Commercial Bank Economic Intelligence Center. “Unveiling 4G Business Models in the Digital World.” Accessed March 9, 2016. https://tinyurl.com/hy5mbet.
24. Sinha, Rajiv K., and Naomi Mandel. “Preventing Digital Music Piracy: The Carrot or the Stick?” Journal of Marketing 72, 1 (January 2008): 1-15.
25. Tan, Benjamin. “Understanding Consumer Ethical Decision Making with Respect to Purchase of Pirated Software.” Journal of Consumer Marketing 19, 2 (2002): 96-111.
26. Venkatesh, Viswanath. “Determinants of Perceived Ease of Use: Integrating Control, Intrinsic Motivation, and Emotion into the Technology Acceptance.” Journal of Information Systems Research 11, 4 (December 2000): 342-365.
27. Wade, Jared. “The Music Industry's War on Piracy.” Risk Management Magazine 51, 2 (February 2004). https://tinyurl.com/hqu8wn5.
28. Wang, Cheng L., Ye, Li R., Zhang, Yue J., and Dat Nguyen. “Subscription to Fee-Based Online Services: What Makes Consumer Pay for Online Content.” Journal of Electronic Commerce Research 6, 4 (January 2005): 304-311.
29. Wuttipong, Nalin. “The Thai Popular Music Industry: Industrial Form and Musical Design.” PhD. diss., University of Nottingham, 2012.
30. Zeithaml, Valarie A. “Consumer Perceptions of Price, Quality, and Value: A Means-End Model and Synthesis of Evidence.” Journal of Marketing 52, 3 (July 1988): 2-22.